Consider location, layout, adequate signage, wayfinding and accessibility to ensure everyone can find their way to, in and around the playspace. Here are some tips:
- You can easily navigate to, in and around the playspace in an intuitive way.
- There’s a gateway or sense of arrival to the playspace.
- There are pause points at all entries to pace introduction to the activity zones.
- The playspace is linked to pedestrian and cycle paths.
- There are toilets, food and parking amenities nearby.
- Information about the playspace is available before visiting.
- A public transport link, like a bus stop or train station, is nearby.
- Signage is easy to read, using simple language, graphics and high colour contrast.
- Access gates can be operated by an adult using a wheelchair or mobility device.
- No barriers, including main road crossings and kerbs, exist.
Collaroy Beach Playground, Sydney
Regional playspaces offer an opportunity to combine a variety of play adventures within a setting that is comfortable and enjoyable for a wide range of people.
Collaroy Beach Playground fulfils a number of Can I Get There? principles, with pause points, an orientation path of consistent width, entry signage and accessible parking spaces.
Download the Can I Get there example.